Phil received a BA from Trinity Western University in 1990 and a Bachelor of Laws from UBC in 2006. He was called to the British Columbia Bar in May 2008.
"Law is the study of life" Phil says. By this, he means that there is very little in modern Canadian life that is not affected by the law in some way. There are laws about how we drive our cars, what we eat, and how we spend our money. The more a lawyer understands life, the better they can use the law to help a client. Being a good lawyer also means being alive to the way the law impacts the way we live and conduct our
"Diverse" is an excellent word to describe Phil's life and experience. He comes to the law having worked in business, charity and relief work. He was born in Scotland; raised in England, and has lived in Ontario, Jamaica, the Philippines and lately in Vancouver for 13 years. He is married and has seven children. (so far)
Phil is a director of Access Probono Western Canada Society to Access Justice and a member of West
Vancouver Baptist Church. He currently chairs the church council.
In his "spare time" Phil enjoys home maintenance projects and gardening.
Areas of Practice
- Strata law
- Estate litigation
- Creditors’ remedies
- Civil litigation
Phil's Experience includes:
- Trials in BC Supreme Court and Provincial Court
- Appeals and motions to appeal in the BC Court of Appeal
- Supreme Court Chambers applications relating to strata law; estate law; family law creditors’ remedies and litigation procedure.
- Working with lawyers, judges and community groups to provide pro bono legal services to the poor
- Working with young people and children
- Partnering in entrepreneurial endeavours
- Managing large multi-million dollar retail facilities
- Working over seas and in cross-cultural settings
- Volunteering for a broad spectrum of Charities and Organizations
- Completing and receiving the Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award from Prince Philip
Recently, Phil has completed:
- Legal education course regarding Roberts Rules of Order and Parliamentary rules
- Continuing Legal Education, Estate litigation and Planning course
- Teaching CCI course - ‘Legal issues in Strata Corporations’
- Continuing Legal Education, Fundamentals of Mediation
- Trial Lawyers Association of BC Winning at Trial Seminar
Phil is a member of:
- The British Columbia Law Society
- The Canadian Bar Association, member of the Civil Litigation and Wills and Trusts sub-sections
- The Trial Lawyers Association of BC, and is on the steering committee for the young lawyers group for TLABC
- The Christian Legal Fellowship