For the past thirty-four years, Peter Mogan has been active as a lawyer, businessman and mediator in B.C. and Ontario. He has worked closely with his business clients in a wide variety of tasks from business formation through financings, mergers and acquisitions, contract negotiations, international trade, dealings with government, tax planning and securities compliance. Peter's clients range from smaller independent businesses to publicly listed companies. He has been involved in numerous
prospectus exempt offerings and other financings.
PPeter's experience as an entrepreneur has led to an approach that is practical: finding legal solutions that make business sense. This same approach, combined with a relational style is brought to business negotiations and also to the mediation table where Peter has worked both as mediator and, at other times, as legal counsel in a wide variety of commercial disputes. He currently serves as a director on or corporate secretary to the boards of several B.C. companies. In recent years,
Peter has worked with several corporations as a consultant Assisted in strategic planning, leadership development, conflict management training, systems design and team building.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial transactions in the “mid-market”
- Corporate and commercial law
- Financing and related securities matters
- Employee share options and ownership
- Mediation and Facilitation (including leadership development and strategic planning)
Geoff Reed, Chairman - Creation Technologies Inc.
Mike Walsh, Chief Financial Officer - Creation Technologies Inc.
Michael McAdam, Chief Executive Officer - Teldon Group of Companies
Tanya McCarthy, Human Resources Manager - Teldon Group of Companies
Terry Thompson, Executive Vice-President - 4Refuel Canada Ltd.
Conrad Schartau, Managing Partner - Cobalt Engineering
Gerry Nemeth, Partner - Nemeth Thody Anderson
Ben Wendland, President - Hodder Tugboat Co. Ltd.
Brad Miller, President - IMW Industries Ltd. and Advanced Bending Technologies Inc.
Craig Pollack, President - Race Face Components Inc.
Ross Colello, Chief Financial Officer - Spa Utopia
Ian Wright, Wricor Capital Corporation
- Mark Dumerton, President - M&L Painting Ltd.
- Acted for a BC based company with international operations in a US$160M sale transaction (2010)
- Acted for Canada wide business in a $85M enterprise value private equity transaction and debt restructuring (2010)
- Acted for purchaser in purchasing various companies to create an industry leading manufacturing group (2010)
- Acted for BC company in a $100M private equity transaction with US firm (2009)
- Acted for a leading North American manufacturer with facilities in Canada and the US in a $130M private equity transaction
- Represented the borrower on a $125M syndicated bank financing transaction
- Acted for the purchaser on a $50M manufacturing business acquisition and financing in the US
- Acted for the sellers on a $47M business sale transaction involving multiple facilities throughout Western Canada
- Acted for the purchaser in the acquisition of and financing of a US manufacturing business
- Acted for the sellers multiple industrial properties throughout Western Canada
- Acted for the management group on a $130M spin out, acquisition and financing of a utility company with businesses throughout North America
- Acted for one other parties in a complex corporate reorganization to split the business and assets of a leading BC manufacturer.
- Acted for the seller of a world class manufacturing business and related real estate valued at $11M
- Acted for the employers in the design and establishment of over 15 employee share ownership plans
- Acted for the corporation on a complex refinancing and management buy down of a leading BC media services corporation
- Assisted numerous BC based not-for-profit organizations in setting up RRSP eligible capital financing programs
- Represented a large number of commercial tenants in leasing transactions
- Acted for buyers and sellers in several other $5M to $20M mergers and acquisitions
- Assisted in the creation and registration of several venture capital corporations under the Small Business Venture Capital Act. Many of these transactions required corporate restructuring, advising on securities laws, preparation of disclosure documentation and compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Drafted several offering memoranda in connection with several million dollars worth of prospectus exempt issues of equity and debt offerings in British Columbia.
- Was involved in the design and implementation of several corporate re-organizations for business, creditor-protection or tax reasons.
- University of Toronto (1971-73)
- L.L.B., Osgoode Hall Law School 1976
- Called to Ontario Bar, 1978
- Called to B.C. Bar, 1990
- DipCS, Regent College, 1994
Boards and Directorships
- Board of Directors - Teldon Group of printing, marketing and publishing companies in North America
- Board of Directors – Vanderpol’s Eggs Ltd., a West Coast egg products company
- Board of Directors – Vitalus Nutrition Inc., a West Coast dairy products company
- Corporate Secretary – Hodder Tugboat Co. Ltd., a B.C. tugboat operator
- Chairman of Board – Canadian Food for the Hungry, a Canadian relief and development charity
- Board of Directors – Food for the Hungry International
- Board of Directors – Oil Partner s.r.o., a Central European automotive service
Other Associations and Interests
- Peter is a trained mediator with numerous mediations under his belt in a wide variety of situations.
- Peter is passionate about leadership and community development. He works with a variety of business and non-profit organizations as a facilitator/trainer. He is a certified True Colors trainer and has training in a variety of other tools. In this capacity, Peter has facilitated and co-facilitated in numerous and varied contexts.
- Peter has served at Regent College over the past 15 years in varying capacities as a member of the Regent Senate as a Faculty Associate and as a sessional lecturer. He has also taught in a large variety of settings, including in Europe and Australia on conflict resolution, leadership development and community building.
- Peter is the author of Family Trusts for Estate and Tax Planning published by Self- Counsel Press and is currently writing a book on business succession planning for the same publisher to be entitled Building a Legacy of Value where he will guide business owners in how to run a business so that the values and value of the company can be maximized on sale or transition of the company.
- Peter serves as a worship leader at University Chapel. He has also been actively involved in a variety of charitable organizations.
- Chairman of the Salish Park Leaseholders Association, representing the 140+ homes in the Salish Park subdivision on the West Side of Vancouver.